Author Topic: Using Sevice Center 6  (Read 3789 times)

Offline Symbonite

Hello everyone,

I just received the PC-Doctor kit.

Anyways I am just wondering about a few things first in the quick manual it says that I have to make sure that I have to keep the Multipurpose USB in at all times when using Service Center 6.  So I boot the CD from startup and it goes into the DOS Version of Service Center 6.  Only Option is C: Ram Drive/Disk. 

When I try to choose a test a red box comes up saying there is no locking device found and put in that device and reboot.  Dont know what Im doing wrong.

Also I would really like to see or find a manual on this site or on the CD's on how every function of this product works without kind of guessing what it does.

Thanks

Offline fwilson

Symbonite,

Welcome to the PC-Doctor family.

The documentation may be found on the root of the distribution CD, they are PDF files.

As far as the locking goes, the MUD is the USB device with the card attached to it.  It must be inserted into a functioning USB port during the tests.  If it is removed a reboot will be required.

The system must set up the USB subsystem in BIOS.  On most systems this can be accomplished by setting the BIOS to allow the system to boot from the USB key. When you boot from CD this usually gives the best results.

The MUD is a bootable USB device so you are able to boot SC6 from the MUD and lock to it.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Symbonite

Thank you for the fast reply...

I should have worded it a bit better for my question.

Alright these are the steps I do..

I go to BIOS and change the boot to CD

Inserted the Service Center 6 CD in

Inserted the MUD into a working USB slot in the back of the computer. 

Saved BIOS settings and rebooted system.

The Service Center disk boots up and you see the lights flashing and dancing on the USB.

I pick C: drive in the list (only option avaible)

Then it goes to a list that I can choose so I go and choose quick HDD Test...thats when the redbox comes up and says that I dont have the locked device in and to reboot with the device in..

But I do have it in and I know those ports are working.  I tried this on 3 different machines.

Is there something I am doing wrong?

Thanks

**edited to add**  Oh also I tried reflashing the MUD with the Utility on the CD...that didnt help...BUT it does now get recognized in the USB boot options on the 3 Computers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 02:35:29 pm by Symbonite »

Offline fwilson

Symbonite,

If the MUD is now is recognized by the system as a bootable device boot from it. The MUD has the same DOS version of PCDR as on the CD.  Remove the CD completely from the system and press F12 or whatever incantation you need to bring up the boot menu. Choose the PCDR MUD and you should be golden.

On a percentage of systems the USB subsystem is not fully initialized in DOS, they leave that for Windows to accomplish. In these cases Booting from the MUD is the only way to get them working.

-Fred   

Offline Symbonite

Ok so this is the scoop.  I contacted PC-DOCTOR and it seems that some machines cant go through the CD with the USB....So you have to boot the USB Directly.  Also Sometimes the service Center has a problem with a mouse plugged in on some systems.

But now another question....About the MUD this time...

When the tests are going the card says that the Green light and Yellow Light should be flashing.  But with all tests actually when its plugged in the Green light is always solid.  So I dont know if its actually testing properly or not.  The Card does say that while the machine is testing both lights should be flashing.  Or is it telling me something else. 

Based on the card the Solid Green and flashing yellow means that the OS is accessing the USB....but Im in DOS mode.

Offline fwilson

Symbonite,

We have noticed that mileage varies on the MUD LEDs depending on the system.  The code therapists are looking into this, and I see some head scratching going on.

This appears to have been introduced when we moved to the new MUD design. The new design is more physically rugged and able to take more abuse.

The code is sending the proper commands to the MUD and it works properly, sometimes, other times the LED commands seem to be ignored.

All I can tell you now is that we are looking into it and hope to have it solved soon.  In the interim you can always trust what is on the screen.

-Fred