Author Topic: Inconsistent scan results  (Read 1456 times)

Offline RealityCheck123

When I perform a hardware scan on my Dell Precision M4700 workstation I occasionally get a failed memory test. All other tests pass. Yet if I perform a much longer standalone memory test, all test components pass.

No errors are detected with Windows' memory diagnostic tool.

I am running Win 7 Professional with an Intel Core i7-3840QM CPU, 32 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD and 750 GB HDD.

Any ideas why the discrepancy with the PC Doctor diagnostic tools?

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hi RealityCheck123,

This can happen when the system memory that is allocated to our software changes between scans. If there is only a specific sector of memory that has begun to fail the system will pass any memory scans that don't check that same sector, and because the operating system determines what parts of the memory our software can use, there is no way for us to force the software to check the same sector each time.

I have spoken to the developers about issues like this before, and they have always remained confident that any memory problems that our software may find are accurate. Because of this, I would start looking into determining which of your sticks of memory is the problem (assuming you have more than one), and getting it replaced.

I hope that my explanation helps you to better understand what is happening, but please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline RealityCheck123

Kris,
From what you're saying, it sounds like PC-Doctor only checks a portion of the total available memory at one time. Plus, it seems strange that the memory test only fails on the general hardware scan which is apparently running multiple tests at one time and lasts only 15-20 minutes. The memory only scan runs more diagnostics, takes about 30 minutes to complete, and always passes.

I have never noticed any unusual computer behavior so I probably won't take any further action until something starts acting up.

Kerry

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
You are correct, but that limitation applies to memory testing in all environments (Windows, DOS, Linux, etc.). However, depending on the environment (DOS for example) the diagnostics can access a greater percentage of the memory at one time. This isn't only true for our diagnostics software, the only testing method that has access to a greater percentage of the memory is with the use of a stand alone memory tester which cost over $4000, and is only capable of testing a single memory stick at a time.

If you want to keep using the system without changing the memory, I would recommend running regular memory tests to make sure it doesn't begin to get any worse. If there is only one bad sector, then you will likely be fine for the time being.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.