Author Topic: PC Doctor Lockout  (Read 1499 times)

Offline splitter

I have just rebuilt a new PC. I tried to re-activate my copy of PC doctor and left the caps lock on after typing my serial number. This resulted in an incorrect password reset. Once I realised and entered the correct password I am told that I am now locked out of the software for one month. Software that I legitimately purchased. There was no warning that this was going to happen and there appears to be no way to resolve it. Whilst I understand the need to protect from piracy, this situation puts legitimate users at a big disadvantage. Surely you can come up with a way of allowing legitimate users to self rectify this situation. I am now unable to utilise the software that I bought for the purpose for which it was intended. Do you really think that this is a fair situation for your customer base? You should at the very least build a warning into the software, or a system that allows the user to rectify prior to being locked out. Anti piracy is a fair goal. Cutting off the use of your software for legitimate purchasers is not. I cannot find any way of resolving this on your site. This forum appears to be the only possible way of getting this fixed. Again, if you are prepared to prevent people from using a software license they have paid for, in case there is a problem with piracy, have some way of resolving it quickly when they are not.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I apologize for then inconvenience, and if you could please send me a PM with your email or product key, I will be happy to reset the lockout on our software.

I would also like to clarify, based upon the information you provided it sounds as if the lockout you are experiencing is actually caused by multiple activations. I understand your frustrations at the lack of a quick and simple solution, and currently there are only 2 methods to remove the lockout on our software: either wait for the time to expire, or contact us to manually reset the lockout.

I apologize again for the trouble, but I will be happy to help once you have provided the necessary information.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline splitter

Thank you Kris, I appreciate your help.

I'm sure the issue is related to multiple activations as you suggest.

In a nutshell, I had built a computer dedicated to imaging and printing (after my "best" computer was hijacked by teenage daughters in a general coup). I installed PC doctor and activated it. I then decided to upgrade to Win 8.1 and had to activate again. I had problems with an SSD drive and replaced it and installed once more. After that I decided to upgrade motherboard, ram and CPU. I installed everything again.

The point I am trying to make is that circumstances can sometimes lead to multiple installs. I was unaware that it was possible to be locked out of the software and was surprised when it came up.

I would have felt less aggrieved had it been clear that this could happen, or if there had been a clear way to rectify it once it did.

Having said that, I do understand you protecting your IP and I do appreciate your resolving this for me.

On a side note I should mention that I did try to buy another license (out of frustration) and I could not process the order once I tried to pay. I kept getting server messages asking me to try again later. After two or three attempts over a two hour period I gave up and followed this route (ie forum). It may now be resolved but I thought it worth mentioning.