Author Topic: PC will not boot up, fan continues to run  (Read 3520 times)

Offline soloworm

Hello,

I have been having a problem getting my PC to boot up, when the power is turned on the fan beginning working, dvd drives begin working, but the processor never boots up.  This is a fairly new computer, less than 1.5yrs old.  Any ideas of the what could be causing this?  At first I could get this to start by re-energizing a couple of times, now its nothing?

Thanks

Offline fwilson

Soloworm,

Do you receive any beeps from the system?  Is it the CPU fan or case fan that is working?

If you are not receiving any beeps from the system, try these steps

1) Remove add on cards one at a time to see if you receive beep codes with the card not present.  Video cards are the usual culprits here.
2) Reseat all the ram chips, power connectors etc.
3) Remove the power and CMOS battery from the system for 10-15 minutes, reinstall the battery then try to power up.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

P.S. If you have service center the POST card will give an indication as to where in the POST process the system is hanging.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline captain.woo

i've got a similar/same problem.
pc wont boot up fully, it gets to various stages, but stops responding.
have tried removing and replacing the battery,have tried changing the ram,have tried different power,have tried different hard drive..... stil nothing

need help :(

Offline fwilson

The only other thing to try is reseating the CPU.  If removing cards, ram, battery and reseating the CPU does not do any good I'm afraid its time to go shopping for a new motherboard.  :'(
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts