Author Topic: USB Drive - Write Protected ?  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Thomas K

I have an old 64MB USB Drive, that I got from Intel during one of their partner conferences.

Being the type that doesn't like to throw stuff out, it sat in a drawer for a long time.  Didn't really have a use for 64MB then, but strangely I have a use for it now (yes I know its so small its hardly worth keeping around).

The problem is when I stick it in my laptop (windows Vista Ultimate) it is recognised, gives a 0MB size, and says un-formatted.  When I try to format it, it tells me its write protected.  This drive has no switches or sliders on the outside.  A small green light however exists to show activity.  It does light up, or flash on occasion.

diskpart does nothing, but shows it read only
chkdsk /f tells me that it cant handle a RAW drive.

hp's usb drive tool can not do anything with it.
icare's recovery tool find it, shows a couple files, however its partly disabled due to trial version.

I've tried the registry key hack, as well as a couple others, and they just don't seem to work.  The flash drive itself seems undamaged.

Anyone got any suggestions?  I would love to be able to get this working, for smaller utilities (like seatools, and other drive utilities from the manufacturer) to save the larger flash drives for well, larger tools.

Thomas

Offline DexterHarrison

I have an old 64MB USB Drive, that I got from Intel during one of their partner conferences.

Being the type that doesn't like to throw stuff out, it sat in a drawer for a long time.  Didn't really have a use for 64MB then, but strangely I have a use for it now (yes I know its so small its hardly worth keeping around).

The problem is when I stick it in my laptop (windows Vista Ultimate) it is recognised, gives a 0MB size, and says un-formatted.  When I try to format it, it tells me its write protected.  This drive has no switches or sliders on the outside.  A small green led light however exists to show activity.  It does light up, or flash on occasion.

diskpart does nothing, but shows it read only
chkdsk /f tells me that it cant handle a RAW drive.

hp's usb drive tool can not do anything with it.
icare's recovery tool find it, shows a couple files, however its partly disabled due to trial version.

I've tried the registry key hack, as well as a couple others, and they just don't seem to work.  The flash drive itself seems undamaged.

Anyone got any suggestions?  I would love to be able to get this working, for smaller utilities (like seatools, and other drive utilities from the manufacturer) to save the larger flash drives for well, larger tools.

Thomas

Would you like to sell the USB drive? I can pay you reasonable price if you want to sell it..Waiting for reply thanks in advance:)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 09:28:01 am by DexterHarrison »

Offline Thomas K

haaha, whats reasonable?