Author Topic: PC Doctor freezes on Walking One Left memory test  (Read 6644 times)

Offline DJDP

Hi, I'm experiencing this problem or another right after this test every time I test my memory.  This is on a Lenovo T61 with Vista Business and 3 GB RAM installed about 5 months ago.  The system menu in control panel shows 3.0 GB and everything ran fine until recently.  The first and subsequent times I ran PC Doc, it always froze at the walking one or pattern tests.  All programs were shut down before running.  Just recently I got a memory related BSOD as well (although, I've had a couple of driver-related BSODs as well).  Is this a software problem or hardware problem?  What do the walking one tests examine exactly?

Offline fwilson

DJDP,

It appears that you have a memory issue.  You should run the DOS memory tests to remove the OS and drivers from the equation.  You may download the DOS boot disk from the Lenovo site.

Walking One Left Test: The Walking One Left Test starts by setting all bits in a byte to a value of zero. One at a time from right to left, each bit is set to a value of one and back to zero. The test then reads each bit value in the byte. If the bit values in the byte are inconsistent, the test logs as Failed. The test loops from low address to high address for all available pages.

Walking One Right Test: The Walking One Right Test starts by setting all bits in a byte to a value of zero. One at a time from left to right, each bit is set to a value of one and back to zero. The test then reads each bit value in the byte. If the bit values in the byte are inconsistent, the test logs as Failed. The test loops from low address to high address for all available pages.

-Fred

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts