Author Topic: SC6 Network External Loopback Test  (Read 3890 times)

Offline djc4909

I am trying to interpret results on the Network External Loopback test run in SC65 Windows Mode.  I am running on a base Lenovo Test MAchine with Windows XP SP2 installed.

I have run the test in several test modes
1. No loop back device , no cable ; result No Connection
2. No loop back device, cable connected to functioning router ; result passed
3. Loop Back device ; result No Connection

The warning message "Network adapter not connected" is associated with both failures. 

Question is do I need the loopback to perform the test?  If so why is the result the same without the loopback?  Why does the test pass when connected to the router?

thanks,
dc

Offline fwilson

djc4909,

You need the loopback device only for the loopback test.  This test was included for people who do not have a network available to test.

All other tests requre a functioning network to pass and will not pass with the loopback device only.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline djc4909

So if both loopback adapters I have show no connection on the test .... and the test passes when connected to a network ...... both loopback adapters are defective ?
Sounds unlikely.

Offline fwilson

djc4909,

You are correct it is unlikely.  It didn’t register fully in my brain when I read your first post.

Normal behavior of this test is:
The only test that will pass with just the blue PCDR loopback adapter attached is the Network External Loopback Test (the last test in the group).  The other 4 test will fail. 

Network Cable Test, Network Link Test, TCP/IP Internal Loopback and TCP/IP Network Communication Test all require a valid TCP/IP Ethernet connection.

The External Loopback Test is a MAC Address loopback and normally does not require a valid TCP/IP Ethernet connection. I have seen some systems that the NIC seems to disable itself when there is not a valid Ethernet network present, these would fail the External Loopback Test unless it had a link light and a valid TCP/IP connection.  This may be what you are seeing. 

May I ask what type of system and network card you have?  I can see if I can duplicate the behavior here in the Lab.  ???

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts