Author Topic: Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox locking up  (Read 3211 times)

Offline undoctor

My web browsers began locking up or failing to open.  If I reboot they operate satisfactorily for a while and then it's right back to the same problem.

The IE will often flash open and then disappear.  The Firefox does not appear to open at all, but when I check the processes on the task mgr. it shows the CPU at 99.  I must end program with the task mgr in order to shut the computer down.

There are times the browsers won't open, but if I click on a link in a email it will open.  Sometimes when Windows Media Player is streaming a video, it'll lock up.

I ran my Check-It Diagnostics and everything passed.  I've been using Ad-Aware and have downloaded AVG Anti-spyware, and a scan of my system found many tracking cookies, plus one Trace in my Mozilla Firefox browser, which it eliminated. 

Can anyone recommend a program which will locate the bug?

Thanks,

Dave

Offline fwilson

undoctor,

This forum is designed as a place to help PC-Doctor users solve problems.  I see you use another product /shameless plug off. That being said I'll try to help you out but will need some more info.

What anti virus program are you using?
What firewall are you using?
How long has this been happening and does it correlate with the installation of any downloaded programs?
What is the process at 99% CPU when you try to open Firefox?
Does the system operate normally with programs that do not access the Internet?

The symptoms you describe are indicative of a browser hijacker but I’ve seen some pretty weird stuff.

-Fred

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Wahigo

:'(
I'd like to get in on this discussion too.  I have the same problem with IE but I dont run Firefox.  IE opens and I can browse BUT if I want to open another tab -- it says opening or something similar, never does and locks up.  Have to use Task manager to shut it down. 
I use AVG as my firewall.  I have tried updating and have always had auto updates on.. it did work at one time... just not in the last few weeks. 
I have used adaware and spybot, with a few things coming up and taken care of.
However, when I try to use Trend Housecalls it tells me it cant load some plug in and then it locks up.  I sure would appreciate your help.

Offline fwilson

Wahigo,

I wish I could help you guy's out.  PC-Doctor is a hardware diagnostics program.  It is not intended to chase down software bugs or viruses.  Debugging browser problems is outside of the scope of this forum.  There are many forums that will help with this type of endeavor.

Here is a one forum that may be of help:
http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=4&SiteID=1&PageID=4&PostID=2596084
. Remember Google is your friend.  :)

The Trend Micro plug-in is being blocked by your security settings.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts