Author Topic: Computer is freezing  (Read 3055 times)

Offline cookie10

Hey everyone.
I would really appreciate if anyone has some insight regarding my recent computer problems. I have an IBM Thinkpad T43 and it recently started to freeze whenever it feels like - until it gets to a point where it needs a hard restart/shutdown. Sometimes it helps to move the computer around to unfreeze it but thats only a temporary fix. I ran all the PC-Doctor tests and it passes everything. Also, the hard drive seems to be fine (no unusual noises) and I've switched in and out  the memory sticks. I'm really perplexed now. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Offline fwilson

cookie10,

It sounds like you may have a heating problem.  Take a close look at all the vents on the system, make sure they are free of dust bunnies. A can of air from the local office supply place will help, blow everything out well.

Make sure there is adequate air flow to the machine while running.  If there are little swing down feet on the bottom of the unit, use them.  A laptop cooler mat may also be helpful.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline cookie10

Thanks for you help but I don't believe thats the problem. I found out that when I press hard down on the palm rest (to the left of the touchpad), it unfreezes. Would you know what problem that would be or whats under there?
Thanks again.

Offline fwilson

That is usually the PCMCIA cage and connectors.  It's pretty easy to get to (4 screws on the bottom) then tilt up the panel.  Check the connectors under there.  If pressure on that area wakes it up, something is not making a good connection.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts