Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 2528 times)

Offline glitzygirl

Ok, so we have the premier kit and just my luck the two laptops that I got since having this kit I cannot use the kit because neither of them have the mini pci slot. These two laptops, I cannot even boot from the pc doctor usb, or cd, nor can I get into the Bios. I have power on both, on one of them i have the hdd light, on the other laptop I don't. Tested the hdd outside the system and they are fine.
I would really like to know what the problem is with both laptops as now I have a bee in my bonnet with them and really want to get to the bottom of them. I was hoping that in situations like these the PC doctor kit would help me but it hasn't so far.
Any suggestions?

I was hoping that this kit was going to help me get through these types of problems whereby you just can't get to the bottom of them on your own. I've search the net for similar problems, and most of them come up with Motherboard problems, which I am also nearly certain of, (I have tested the screens and they are ok). But without having a POST card to do some testing and see what codes are coming up, it's impossible to pin point the exact problem (therefore losing money because I can't fix it).

I want to know if there is a new post card for newer laptops (If I had known that new laptops didn't have mini pci's I wouldn't have bothered with the premier kit). If you have a new post card coming out what will be the situation for those that have just purchased the kits? I just feel that the mini pci card is out of date and the newer version should have been included.
Thanks!

P.S: Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with most of the kit, just a bit annoyed about the laptop side of the kit which isn't and hasn't been much use to me because it's for older type of laptops rather than the new ones.

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello Irelandspcdoct,

I am sorry to hear of your frustrations with the kit and the laptops you are attempting to troubleshoot.  The link below contains an explanation why PC-Doctor chose to go with the current mini-pci cards that were included in your kit.
http://www.pc-doctor.com/newsletters/june_10.php#story_3

Unfortunately I am unable to assist in the troubleshooting of hardware, I can only provide feedback/support regarding PC-Doctor products. 

You had mentioned that you are unable to boot using the Multipurpose USB Device (MUD) that was included in the kit.  It is possible that the system does not have USB devices in the list of devices to boot from, which would be a setting in the BIOS.  On the system where you are able to access the BIOS, I would check to see if you can add USB devices to the list of bootable devices.
Another possible reason that you cannot boot the systems from the MUD.  You had indicated that the laptops are newer laptops.  Many of the newer laptops only have  USB3 ports.  If the system has an eSATA port, try placing the MUD in that port and booting from there.  Though I am not aware of any issues with booting via the MUD in USB3 ports, I have personally run into issues trying to run non-USB3 devices in the USB3 ports.
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"

Offline glitzygirl

Hi James,
Thanks for your fast reply. I understand now, the laptops don't have eSata, just standard USB. They're not that new but not that old either, and neither of them have the mini pci slot in them unfortunately.
I can't get to the bios at all, hence why I can't boot with neither the MUD or the CD.
I'll just have to let it go. Just would have liked to find out what the problem really was and what part of the motherboard was faulty.
I'm hoping that I don't get anymore of these laptops whereby you just get anything out of them.
Thanks again!
Monica.