Author Topic: Drive wipe service center 9  (Read 3079 times)

Offline cedgell

I am trying to wipe drives through service center 9 bootable diagnostics.  And it will tell me that I have to disable the safety parameters to enable the drive wipe.  I have checked in the settings and there is nothing said about hard drive wiping safety parameters.  I am wondering if anyone knows how to disable the safety parameters?  Thanks

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with the drive wipe process in the Bootable Diagnostics environment. I would first like to ask if you were using the link for the drive wipe script located on the home screen. If not, please let me know the method you are using when you are trying to perform the drive wipe.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline cedgell

I am not using the link because I wanted to try to have the drives wipe in parallel, so I went to the diagnostic and tools and under storage I unchecked everything except the drive wipe.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
That explains it, there was a security feature implemented to prevent the possibility of adding the drive wipe utility to another script. This was done to avoid wiping the drive on accident, and the link on the front page is the only method provided to run the utility.

However, this shouldn't prevent you from wiping multiple drives. The provided link should run the drive wipe utility on all drives that are connected to the system.

Sorry for any confusion,
Kris
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline cedgell

Yes it will but one at a time which is slower that we would like.  Thanks anyways.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hello cedgell,

I checked with the developers about your desired use case, and was told that there wasn't any technical reason for why we weren't performing the drive wipe in parallel. The only problem that was presented was that the drive wipe will likely take longer to complete.

Since there is no easy way for you to edit the existing drive wipe script, I was given permission to provide an updated version that will do what you wanted. Follow these steps to update your key with the parallel version of the drive wipe script:

• Download and unzip the "drive_wipe.zip" file that I have attached to this post
  • Move the xml file to this location: "E:\pcdoctor\sc_lin\scripts" (Replace E: with the appropriate drive letter)
  • Boot into Bootable Diagnostics as normal and use the drive wipe link on the home page

While I was given the ok to provide the necessary file, I must warn you that I am unable to support any additional modifications made to our scripts or environments. I hope this meets your needs, and please let me know if you have any other questions or issues.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.