Author Topic: Keyboard Failure  (Read 12590 times)

Offline HCHTech

Dell Inspiron 580, Running PC Doctor 8.

Unit has no PS2 ports and different keyboards plugged into different USB ports all fail the keyboard test with the message:

Keyboard Power-On Selfttest Failed
Expected FAH.  Read FEH.

There is another post from 2009 with this error here, http://www.pcdoctor-community.com/forum/index.php/topic,234.0.html

..but no conclusion was reached.

All of the available interactive keyboard tests pass fine with the 3 keyboards I tried.  Is this pointing to a motherboard failure of some kind?  Is there any way to diagnose further?

The machine is in for a reload after an infection damaged the Windows installation beyond repair.  I certainly don't want to go through this process if there is a motherboard failure waiting in the wings.

Thanks!

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hi HCHTech,

A failure of Keyboard Power-On Selftest indicates that a PS2/USB failed the test, or that the BIOS vendor did not implement the selftest.

We have also found that DOS testing in some systems can have communication problems with USB Keyboards. Obviously this does not mean the test result should be ignored, but that you must look at the variables.

My guess would be that since the keyboards seem to be functioning properly in every other regard the test results are being caused by the BIOS. I would still give a closer look at the motherboard, just to be sure.

Please let me know if you need assistance with anything else, or have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.