Author Topic: Parallel & Serial Port Testing through DOS  (Read 5385 times)

Offline Omar

Good Afternoon,

I recently got PC-Doctor and have started using it for the first time.

One question I have, when attempting to run a Serial and Parallel port test through the DOS, nothing appears to happen.

I select enter to run highlighted test but nothing happens, can you advise?

The Loopback adapters are plugged into the PC already.

Cheers

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
When you say that nothing appears to happen, what exactly do you see?
Do the other tests done this way seem to function properly?
Do you see any results next to the test you selected? (e.g. Passed or Failed)

Perhaps you could try using CTRL + Enter to run all tests on that screen and see if the results are the same.

Try this out and let me know the results and any additional details you can provide.

Thanks,
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline Omar

Hi Kris,

The other tests work fine, however its the serial and parallel port that do not, they don't display passed or failed when pressing enter to start the test, the same happens when selecting CTRL+ENTER, nothing happens.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Do the tests have dotted lines through the space where the results would normally show?
I ask because if Service Center does not detect or finds issue with the parallel and serial ports then the tests are disabled.

Let me know what you see, and if possible share an image of the screen.

Thanks,
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline Omar

Hi Kris,

Completely forgot to reply to your post, sorry.

You are correct in that the test boxes have dotted lines through them where the results would normally show.

I don't have a screen grab readily available I'm afraid, but I believe the Service Center can detect them as it shows the ports correctly for both the Parallel and Serial connections.

Hope this information helps.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Many newer systems have parallel or serial ports which use traditional port emulation across the PCI bus.

Our product will detect these ports, however since they will produce false failures we disable testing on these ports to avoid possible confusion by mis-reporting a failure that does not exist.

There is always the possibility that your BIOS may have configuration settings related to the parallel/serial ports that changing them will allow you to test properly.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.