Author Topic: Hard Drive Test Pc Doctor5 error HD521-2W  (Read 7449 times)

Offline markus

Hi All,

I need some help with this one please, I ran a Hard Drive test and I got an error HD521-2W on the Short self test.

The reason why I ran the test is because I booted up my PC and seemed like it booted up to a certain point and the HD went into a loop.

Thanking you in advance

Offline fwilson

Markus,

The SMART tests read the logs that are built into the drives. PC-Doctor launches these built-in tests and monitors their progress. If a SMART test fails, it is usually an indicator that the drive has marked itself as bad and may stop working.

Please make sure you are not running any background processes or programs in windows.  Disk access during a SMART test may give a false positive.  You may also want to boot and run the DOS version of PC-Doctor as background processes are not an issue in the DOS environment.

If you are getting an error message during the hard drive SMART test, it's an indication that your hard drive could be going bad. If you receive consistent failing results after trying the measures outlined above you should back up all data and replace the drive as soon as possible or contact your PC or hard drive manufacturer to see if they can assist you.
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline fwilson

>Error HD521
>« Sent to: fwilson on: January 06, 2008, 05:04:47 am »     
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Hi, thanx for the reply, jst like to know how to do run PC Doc in dos mode and also >how do I know if there are backgroung processes running in windows and how can i >stop them.
>thank you.
>
>Markus

Markus,

It depends on the make of machine you are using.  Most OEM's have websites that you can download the latest DOS and Windows versions of PC-Doctor for your particular model. I would start there.  Go to the Manufacturers website to obtain the software as well as the instructions for installing the Windows version and making a DOS CD for your machine.

To stop background processes you can right click them in your System Tray (bottom right of your desktop) and choose exit. QuickTime and Java updates are the most usual ones I've seen but there are many others.  Using the Task Manager to close them manually may be necessary as some do not place an icon in the System Tray.  You can also Google the exe program listed in the Task Manager to get an idea of what they do. Google background processes for some useful guides on removing these.

The quickest way would be do download and run the DOS version.  Ferreting out and killing background process can be time consuming.

Good luck.

-Fred
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 08:44:30 am by fwilson »

Offline markus

Hi Fred,

Thanx for the reply, I've been doing some research and found an interesting site called processlibrary.com. Give u all the processes that can possible run on XP.

I´ve got a HP sys with XP, funny enough I´ve done a sys recovery and run PC doc again, don´t get the error no more 8).

I´ve also downloaded a registry cleaner which detected over 900 invalid entries, are these registry prog. at all safe to run on XP, I know they have a undo key.

Rgds
Markus

Offline fwilson

markus,

Good job!  Glad to hear it all worked out.

-Fred