Author Topic: Saving Logs  (Read 4148 times)

Offline ACIOCALA

Just got my kit last night... it kicks butt!!!

My problem/question is how do I save the logs to the provided USB drive (not the multipurpose USB device)?  My understanding is that this is the primary purpose of the thumb drive yet when I go to "Select Log Drive", the only choices that I have are A: Bootable CD, C: Hard Drive (actually the multipurpose device) & D: RAM Drive.

Offline fwilson

ACIOCALA,

Congratulations on your purchase of PC-Doctor, welcome to the PC-Doctor family.  ;)

Unfortunately mileage may vary on USB devices in DOS.  The System BIOS must be able to mount them, or in some cases multiple ones.  I have seen systems that won’t mount any to systems that will mount as many as you plug in.  All devices must be plugged in at power on to have any hope of success.

We include the additional USB storage drive for your convenience.  If a particular system will not mount it there is no reason you can not save logs to the Multipurpose USB Device (MUD), there is plenty of space available on it.  You can then copy them off to another computer and delete them from the MUD. 

You need to be careful and not delete the program files from the MUD but, if you do, there is a utility in Service Center for Windows to reprogram the MUD.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline TonyL

I don't know if I should start a new thread or not, but since this is about saving the log, I will ask the question here.  At the end of the test, it give me the option to save the log.  However, when I put in a name for the log, it was still saved as log.txt in the drive.  What did I do wrong?

Offline fwilson

TonyL,

When you F3 to save logs enter an 8.3 filename and it should save as that name.  You can also enter a drive and pathe i.e. b:\mylog.log.

I have never had an issue with the log not saving as the name I selected but anything is possible.  Give it another try and make sure you know where it is saving to.  Sometimes the way the drives are enumerated is strange.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts