Author Topic: Optical Drive Test Problems (with the software)  (Read 5064 times)

Offline AIMTechSrvc

I've been using PC-Doctor 6 for a few months at my workplace.  We've been running into a problem when using it on laptops and slimline desktops that use a slot loaded laptop optical drive.

During tests PC-Doctor will change to the next media test into the list, as usual, then say that it is "Ejecting Media."  That is normal, because it needs the next type of disk (changing from a Data CD to Audio CD, and the like).  However, sometimes it will say "Ejecting Media" but it will not eject.  PC-Doctor will then try to run a test on the media that is still in the drive, which is the wrong media.  Obviously, it fails the test.

The main times that this has happened have been swapping between DVD+RW and DVD-RW media.  Once it fails that first time though any further tests fail as well.

This happens on systems with known good optical drives.  Also, if the tests are run individually and not part of a longer script, the drive works fine (Example - running only a DVD+RW test, letting it finish, THEN selecting a DVD-RW test, then running it).

Is this a problem that anyone else has experienced?  Any recommendations?

Offline fwilson

abnewallo,

Is this happening in DOS, Windows or both?  What is the brand of optical drive?

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline AIMTechSrvc

It has only cropped up during Windows tests.

Well, truth be told, I've only run the burning tests under Windows - I haven't tried it yet with the boot media.  Next time I have a machine give me the problem I'll do that, see what happens.

As to brands, I've had it happen with Toshiba and Samsung, that I know of.  There may be others, I just never got around to pulling the drives on them to check.

Another symptom is that when PC-Doctor decides to not eject the media I also cannot get Windows to eject the media and also the optical drive eject button will not work.