Author Topic: 09/10/2014 - Multipurpose USB V3.03.00 Boot error [Service Center 9]  (Read 2711 times)

Offline xboarder56

So I ordered the PC doctor service center 9 kit September 5, received the package yesterday night in the mail and was excited to try it all out because I'm a fellow technician fixing computers that just got a new toy in the mail. After opening it up and trying to boot the multipurpose usb on my desktop and having it fail to load I booted it on my macbook which is not supported but it would still load but that also did fail even loading the boot loader. Once I got around to messing the dongle I have figured out that the UEFI "GRUB" portion of the bootable dongle works but the BIOS "SYSLINUX" does not want to load the boot menu on 2 computers that it should technically load up on. I have tried to restore the dongle with the multipurpose restore tool provided with the CD twice now and both will not fix the syslinux issue that makes it not want to load the boot loader for the bios half of the program. Any help with the issue would be great because I was looking forward to this in the mail when i received it and spend all of today partly frustrated trying to diagnose the issue that is wrong with the dongle.

*****Video #1 Sorry about the sound*****
PC Doctor Bootloader Error Video #1 "HP Pavilion TEST"

*****Video #2*****
PC Doctor Bootloader Error Video #2 "MAC TEST"

Thanks again for the forum so I can receive help with the product.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:57:10 pm by xboarder56 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hi xboarder56,

Sorry for not answering your question sooner, but it looks like you were able to get the issue resolved with a little help from Dave. I would like to share my understanding of the issue for anyone else that may come across this page with a similar issue.

First off, I just wanted to say that while we are currently working on support for Apple systems, Service Center 9 will never work on a Mac.

However, that isn't the major issue here. The main problem is that somehow the MBR of the USB device became corrupted. I can safely say that we haven't run into this particular issue before, but if anyone else comes up with the same problem we will be happy to perform an RMA to replace it. Unless you are able to resolve the issue on your own like our friend xboarder56.

Speaking of which, for future reference I would be curious to know what you did to fix the issue. In the meantime, please let us know if you run into any other issues or have any questions.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline xboarder56

Ok so their was to ways I tested to fix it. To make sure I never messed up my dongle I cloned it over to a mock dongle that was programmed with the same settings as the pc doctor dongle along with the same serial number to make sure everything matched. I tested loading it up and it also did experience the same issues I had one mine. So after I got a test key working I tried to fix it and I came upon to conclusions.

#1 - I ref lashed the syslinux mbr onto my flash drive via the command line syslinux.exe -m -a F:      This fixed it on my test drive and also fixed it on my dongle.

#2 the cd worked in both systems so then I was thinking what if I burned a copy of the cd directly to the test drive. I used a program called ultraiso and use it to write the iso directly to the test dongle and what do you know that also made it boot right into the boot loader of the dongle.

Once I made sure it worked on my test dongle, I flash the fixes to my new one and that fixed my issues I had. Heads up to the pc doctor team my test dongle doesn't actually work as a real dongle but it had all the settings because I need to replicate my problem. Props to the way the dongle you made I really enjoy the work and I might be picking up another one soon ;) Thanks again for all the help guys!