Author Topic: PC Doctor and chkdsk  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Johnny Row

Does the targeted read test know to ignore the sectors isolated by chkdsk, or does it disregard that information and look at all areas of the disk?
I have a Dell Inspiron 580. I have had recent disk errors which seem to coincide with a power failure.  I realize I should replace my hard disc and plan to do so soon, and I have backed up my important data.  But I am still trying to understand how things work.  I have run chkdsk with all repair options.  It repaired several sectors.  I ran it again and get all clean results.  But when I run the PC Doctor diagnostics from My Dell, it still fails on the targeted read test.  My question is: does the targeted read test know to ignore the sectors isolated by chkdsk or does disregard that information and look at all areas of the disk?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:29:55 am by Johnny Row »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
According to the description of the targeted read test (press F1 to access):

This test is intended to quickly find drive sector errors. The test uses drive log data to find regions of the drive that may have errors, then tests those sectors and adjacent areas. A warning or failure is displayed if errors are detected. The test displays the current sector or sector range being tested along with the error count.

I would imagine that the test is running across the regions of the drive that have been logged as problematic, but it could also be discovering new failures in the regions surrounding the existing failures. Either way, your assessment that a replacement will be necessary is likely correct, and I am happy to hear that you have already begun to take the necessary steps to avoid the loss of data.

I hope this helps to answer your question, and please let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.