General Category > Ask Our Experts

DVD writer failed tests

(1/1)

gizgirl:
I have a HP a1214n media center computer, with an HP DVD writer 740b.  It is a LightScribe DVD+/- writer and a CD-writer.  It can read and record CDs, but is unable to recognize writable DVDs.  If I insert them, I simply get a message instructing me to insert a recordable DVD. 

I ran the full battery of tests on the DVD drive in PC Doctor today.  It received a failure on the DVD Drive Linear Seek Test (error code DV523-1) and a failure on the DVD Drive Funnel Seek Test (error code DV523-3).  I even switched out the DVDs as instructed in each of these tests, in case it was a problem with a dirty or scratched DVD, but it still failed.  It passed the DVD Drive Random Seek Test and the DVD Drive Linear Read Compare Test.

When I tried to run the DVD+RW Drive Read Write Test and the DVD-RW Drive Read Write Test, it was unable to recognize the media, and simply kept ejecting the DVD over and over and asking me to insert DVD+RW (or -RW, as the case may be).  So it didn't actually give me a verifiable result, as the only way to get out of this endless cycle was to cancel these two tests myself!

Can anybody shed light on what these error codes mean?  I want to verify whether they are a hardware issue, because I believe my computer is still covered (for hardware only) under an extended warranty.

Many thanks for any input you are able to provide!

Giz.  :)

fwilson:
Giz,

It sounds as if you may be having media compatibility problems.  Not all optical media is compatible with all optical drives.

I would purchase a small quantity of high quality DVD+ and -R Recordable media and retry the tests. HP has a line of media that is very good (hint, hint).

You should also ensure you have the latest firmware for the 740b.  Version HI24 can be had at the HP website:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-42566-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=228&product=1843642&lang=en
This Firmware reportedly increases the units compatibility with programs and media.

If different media and a firmware update do not solve the problem you may have a bad drive.  Call HP with this information and what you have tried, they will take care of you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version