Author Topic: Some issues during PC-Doctor Testing  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Hank Lin

We encountered some issues during PC-Doctor Service Center 6 testing on Vista.
1.It will pop up "pcdrmemory.p5x has stopped working" when long run to test memory overnight, please refer to memory error.jpg for the details. The same error message can be reproduced on many platforms. (MCP73, G33, G31...and so on). Refer to memory error.jpg
2.It will pop up "Pattern Test" and "Cache Test" test fail when test HDD. please refer to HDD error1 and HDD error2 for the details. We connected 2 SATA HDDs and both installed Vista OS, select non-boot HDD to run "Cache/Patter" Test, the result is failed, but after format/delete the non-boot HDD, it is ok when run the same test. The two HDDs contains 3 partitions:Hidden partition(backup OS image)/C partition(Vista OS)/D partition(data).. I got the information from FAQ that Pattern Test is for FAT or NTFS only, how about Cache Test?

Offline fwilson

Mr Lin,

It appears you are having the same issue as you were back in September.  At that time  I requested some information but never received a reply.  I have attached the email I sent at that time below.  Please send the information to support@pc-doctor.com and we will be glad to assist off list if you prefer.

As far as hard drive tests go, any test that reads from the drive requires that it be FAT or NTFS partitioned.

The Service Center product is designed to be used in the diagnosis and repair of industry standard systems.  We have other products such as Factory and Network Factory that may be better suited to your needs.

-------

Email Sent   by fwilson (9/4/2007 9:06:40 AM)
Mr. Lin,

Thank you for contacting PC-Doctor Technical support.  This is in response to the following information:

Summary: pcdrmemory.p5x stopped working during system memory loop test.
Tests: System Memory loop 100 cycles
Description: "pcdrmemory.p5x has stopped working" error message occurred during
System Memory loop test. And the current test item will show "Abnormal Exist"

In order to assist you properly I will need some additional information.
1. What model Acer system is this?
2. How much RAM does it have installed?
3. Does the system Pass any memory test loops?
4. What are the results in the DOS tests?
[/i]
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline Hank Lin

Actually, I have replied your email but it was lost. I copied the information and pasted as below:

-----------
Dear Fred,
We had experienced the same error message on the different platform / memory module. Could you help on this issue asap? Hunger for your feedback.

Dear Fred,
Do you have any update for it? Thanks.

TO: "Fred Wilson" <fred.wilson@pc-doctor.com>
       CC: <hank.hk.lin@foxconn.com>
       主旨: 回信: RE: Summary: pcdrmemory.p5x stopped working during system memory loop test. - PRB01919

Dear Sir,
Thanks for your feedback. Please see below blue of my comments. Thanks.

<support@pc-doctor.com>

2007-09-05 00:06   
       TO: <hank.hk.lin@foxconn.com>
       CC:
       主旨: RE: Summary: pcdrmemory.p5x stopped working during system memory loop test. - PRB01919

Mr. Lin,

Thank you for contacting PC-Doctor Technical support.  This is in response
to the following information:

Summary: pcdrmemory.p5x stopped working during system memory loop test.
Tests: System Memory loop 100 cycles
Description: "pcdrmemory.p5x has stopped working" error message occurred
during System Memory loop test. And the current test item will show
"Abnormal Exist"

In order to assist you properly I will need some additional information.
1. What model Acer system is this?
==> This is a new model during design phase. Platform is Intel G33+ICH9DH.

2. How much RAM does it have installed?
==> We tested with 2 units. The one was installed 2GB RAM and another was installed 1GB RAM.

3. Does the system Pass any memory test loops?
==> The system can pass memtest86+ 1.70 24 hours and R.S.T Pro 24 hours.

4. What are the results in the DOS tests?
==> Still not check in the DOS mode.

Please tell us about your experience with PC-Doctor and read the experiences
of others on the PC-Doctor forum at:
http://www.pcdoctor-community.com/forum/index.php

Some helpful information on the PC-Doctor Program may be found on our FAQ:
http://www.pc-doctor.com/faq.php?language=english

Technical Support Engineer
PC Doctor, Inc.
9805 Double R Boulevard, Suite 301
Reno, NV 89521
775-336-4000
support@pc-doctor.com

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this message is confidential. It is intended to
be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by an
authorized designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, be aware that distribution of this message in any form is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and destroy any copy of this message.
 - winmail.dat
---------
Unquote
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:07:08 am by Hank Lin »

Offline fwilson

Mr. Lin,

Given that this is not a production motherboard and is still under development, it is likely there is an issue with the SMBIOS and/or system driver(s).  The fact that memtest86 passes (as would the PC-Doctor Dos memory tests) indicates that Vista is not getting correct information from the machine or does not know how to properly communicate with the chipset.

The value of the DOS tests is that they test the hardware directly without any intervening software or drivers.  A system that will pass DOS tests but fail Windows tests usually indicates a faulty driver.  Running a combination of DOS and Windows PC-Doctor tests will help you narrow the problem down.

Running the SMBIOS utility in DOS or Windows will give an indication of the accuracy of the SMBIOS tables.

The types of issues you are seeing with the hard drive tests are indicative of electrical and/or BIOS issues on the board.

These observations come from years of being an integral part of the system development process with many major OEM's.  It is also well outside the scope of the Service Center product.  Using PC-Doctor to assist in the development of new products is something we do frequently and very well but this requires a different type of relationship and different products than retail service center provides.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 01:54:28 pm by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts