Author Topic: Is the following message from PC Doctor?  (Read 12277 times)

Offline BluueSpruce

I have the latest PC Doctor for Windows that supports Windows 8 installed. Is the message below from PC Doctor? If so, what does it mean? Is there a problem with PC Doctor or my system. The message only started to periodically appear after I installed PC Doctor. When I uninstalled PC Doctor, the message stopped appearing. Thank you.

The message:

"The procedure entry point SymSetScopeFromInLineContext could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32|dbgeng.dll"

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
I checked to see if our software would use that DLL library.
What I have found is that we do not use that library or that command in our product.

I would run some scans to make sure you didn't pick up some malware or something that corrupted the .dll file.

Sorry I can't offer any assistance with this issue.
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline BluueSpruce

Thank you for checking. I will have to look a bit deeper and elsewhere.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
No problem  ;)

And let me know if you find the culprit, never hurts to inform others just in case.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline Tamjid Wafaa

This is just a very informative post. I really enjoyed going through it.

Offline october8th

I am having the same issue.  My laptop is brand new, and I am careful with it online.  I do not think this is being caused by malware. 

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Have you run any scans to make certain, even the most careful and tech-savvy users can pick up the occasional bit of malware (myself included  :-[).

I would also like to know; do you have PC-Doctor Toolbox for Windows installed on your laptop, and when did you start seeing this error?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:55:43 am by Kris_PCD »
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline colinc

• Administrator
dbgeng.dll is a Windows system file. If it has been corrupted, you can repair it like this:
1. open an administrative command prompt
2. type this command (w/o quotes) "sfc /scannow"

Hope that helps!
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline 01Tech

• 01TECH
I retract this comment:

"I would suggest searching for the dll file in your system32 folder, if you find it rename it with .old at the end.  Then simply download the dll file from the link below and copying it to your system32 folder."

~Lyle
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:48:46 am by 01Tech »
“The opinion of the world does not affect me. I have placed as the real values in my life what follows when I am dead.”

~Nikola Tesla

Offline colinc

• Administrator
That is a helpful tip, but its also an excellent way to pickup a rootkit. When you download a system file from a 3rd party site, you do not get the benefit of a signature or file hash that confirms that the file has not been modified, or if it is even compiled by MS. Wherever possible it is always ideal to get your system files from the OS vendor or installation media. MS designed the sfc utility for this scenario.
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline 01Tech

• 01TECH
I agree sfc /scannnow is the best approach if it works.
I suggest trying the new advanced boot options in Windows 8:

1. Hold Win + R (Windows Key and R at the same time)
2. TYPE: 

shutdown /r /o /f /t 00

The computer will reboot, Select
TROUBLESHOOT
ADVANCED OPTIONS
COMMAND PROMPT

At the command prompt, type:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:30:29 pm by 01Tech »
“The opinion of the world does not affect me. I have placed as the real values in my life what follows when I am dead.”

~Nikola Tesla

Offline 01Tech

• 01TECH
BluueSpruce and october8th,

In Windows 8 "dbgeng.dll" is the debug engine dynamic link library. Sometimes installing a program overwrites or breaks the  dependencies in windows.  When this happens, the original program may not be able to launch properly and you can run into the error message you are describing.

If you have run sfc /scannow without success, I would suggest:

In Windows 8, Hold Win + X (Windows Key and X at the same time) and  and select Command Prompt (Admin) (See attached picture)
Type the following:

regsvr32 dbgeng.dll

[PRESS ENTER]

I apologize for suggesting something as unsafe as downloading a dll file from a 3rd party source.

colinc, thank you for pointing out that 3rd party sites can be dangerous.  I certainly did not intend for BluueSpruce or anyone else to download a rootkit or other malicious software.  It has been my experience that SFC /SCANNOW does not often work as intended and I was offering a second option in case the system file checker did not work to fix the error, I apologize for pointing someone in that direction with no warning of potential dangers that may ensue.

~Lyle

~Nikola Tesla