Author Topic: Long beep with C1 error  (Read 12667 times)

Offline rhrtech

Hello,

I have an HP desktop with a Foxconn motherboard. It is model HP Pavilion a6000. I am using PC Docter 7 and the POST code I am getting is C1. I have tried replacing the RAM and no luck. I have reset the BIOS and nothing. I have tried running it without any RAM, when I do it gives me the short beeps an a different code on the POST card. I have tested the Power supply and it looks good. I have disconnected all the drives and still get the C1. The computer had this issue before and the RAM was reseated and it worked, now reseating the RAM does not work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Offline fwilson

rhrtech,

If you have other memory try it.  If there are two sticks change positions and or leave one out.  Unhook all peripherals from the system

If not there are a couple of things I have done in the past.
Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts on the memory.
Use Tuner cleaner to clean the sockets on the motherboard.

I have seen tin sockets on the motherboard and gold plated contacts on the memory cause issues.  Cleaning as I described fixed it. A can of tuner cleaner can be picked up at a local electronics store.  Use it outside and be careful, the socket connections are fragile.

-Fred
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:35:36 am by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline rhrtech

Thanks.

I tried different RAM with the same outcome. The cleaner is what I plan on doing next. I did notice that the RAM is very hard to put in. This computer did this 2 days ago, and I just had to reseat the RAM. This time, it is not working.

Offline rhrtech

What other options would you suggest if the cleaner does not work?

Offline fwilson

rhrtech,

Look at the ram sockets under magnification.  The statement, "RAM is very hard to put in" concerns me.  I hope it is not a physical problem with the sockets.  That is usually not cost effective to fix, if possible at all. 

If the cleaning solution does not work it may be time for a new motherboard.  At a certain point it's just cheaper to replace it.

-Fred

Offline rhrtech

Yup, bad motherboard. Thanks for the help!

Offline fwilson

rhrtech,

You are most welcome.  Thank you for being a customer.

-Fred