Author Topic: Targeted Read Test Failed (Error code: WHD20-BVI)?  (Read 30046 times)

Offline spetri

The quick test came back with the error below on the HD.  I can't find ANY information on what a "Targeted Read" test is or what a failed test means.  Nor can I find any information on the error code WHD20-BVI.   Google's just not giving up the answers.  I see it's an "error while reading sector 17693681" on the report.  But what is causing the failure; hardware, firmware, both?  Is it time for a new drive, firmware update or just a Chkdsk?

Anyone here know what they mean?

Targeted Read Test
Test Started      9/19/2010 11:03:31 AM
Error Message:   Error while reading sector 1769368.   9/19/2010 11:03:56 AM
Error Message:   The test found 1 sector errors.   9/19/2010 11:03:57 AM
Test Finished:   Failed (Error code: WHD20-BVI)   9/19/2010 11:03:59 AM

Lenovo ThinkVantage Toolbox
Thinkpad T-60
Win XP Pro Current on all SP's and Hot fixes

Offline fwilson

spetri,

The error code is meaningful to Lenovo tech support.

In general a read error on only one sector does not indicate a catastrophic error.  I would run a chkdsk /f and retest.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline spetri

Thanks.  Can't find the error code on the Lenovo support site.  I ran Chkdsk this morning after doing a full back up.  Chkdsk found/repaired/recovered one bad sector.  I then ran PC-Doc/Lenovo Toolbox which failed the same test.  I guess I could run Chkdsk again, or maybe Hatachi has a repair tool.

Offline fwilson

spetri,

Make sure you power down after running chkdsk and before testing again. You could try a Hitachi repair tool.  A call to Lenovo may be in order if your system is still under warranty.

The targeted read test specifically tests areas adjacent to previously marked bad sectors.  This can be an indication that the bad area is growing in size, not good.  I would be diligent in your backups, keep a close eye on it and be prepared to replace the disk.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts