Author Topic: CPU Test Error  (Read 5026 times)

Offline nessak208

Hello
I have a desk top computer that has PC-Doctor v5. for about a month my computer was running really slow and at first I thought maybe I had too many files and pics saved. So I went through the computer and deleted almost all files and images, and did the disk clean up and defragmenter thing. Well after I did all that the computer ran slower. SO I went to PC-Doctor 5 and did tests on all parts of my computer and the everything is just fine except for the CPU tests. The two test that failed are the AMD FPU test and the second one was AMD MMX test. I have no idea what that means, what a CPU is and how to make them work. Can you please help explain what these tests mean and maybe some advice on how to fix the problem what ever it may be?
Thanks so Much! :-[

Offline fwilson

nessak208,

The CPU is the Central Processing Unit, the main chip that is the brain of your system.

You may be having an overheating problem.  Take a look at the fan and heatsink of your CPU look for a dead fan or a dust plugged heatsink.

It would probably be best for you to take the system into a qualified technician and have this done.  If you don’t know what a CPU is you may have trouble finding it.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline nessak208

Thanks so much for your response :-* I did what you said and ran the test again and everything past ;D I did have another question if you do mind helping me again. I ran a System Memory (memory) test and PC-doctor said that the Hard Drive Random Seek Test had an Internal Error. It gave me two warning messages "There was an error obtaining drive geometry." What does that mean and should I be worried about it?
Again thank you so much for the help I do appreciate it a lot!

Offline fwilson

nessak208,

The memory test is separate from the memory tests.  The memory test should not report hard drive errors.

Errors obtaining hard drive geometry are usually related to BIOS setup issues. where the heads and cylinders set in BIOS do not match the physical parameters of the drive. This will also cause the seek errors.

At this point I would not go changing things in BIOS, if you do make sure to copy down the original settings as changing Drive values can cause the system not to boot.  In modern day systems and drives it is usually best to use the Auto drive settings, letting the drive and BIOS work out the details.

I'm hesitant to recommend you mess with these settings, if you do make sure you have a good backup of all your data.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts