Author Topic: Hard Drive Pattern Test  (Read 4309 times)

Offline mchtower

I'm trying to run the Hard Drive Pattern Test on a Seagate ST3250310NS drive. The message I'm getting is "Cannot run tests that are not supported by your hardware configuration." which doesn't really give me much to go on. What things exactly would cause this message. Thanks

Offline fwilson

mchtower,

A lot of different things could cause this. Rather than trying to list them all, let me ask you a few questions.

What build are you running?
What type of system are you running it on (make and model)?
Is this a new drive just put in the system or the boot drive that has been running in it for a while?

If this is an older build and the system is set in AHCI mode this could be the problem.  You can switch to compatible mode, test then switch back to AHCI

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline mchtower

Fred,

I'm running Service Center 7.5.5142.17 in Windows Server 2003
The system is a custom built Avnet machine 
It's the boot drive that's been running for a while.

Offline fwilson

mchtower,

If it is a server is it by chance hooked up to a RAID or SAS card.  If it is you will need an ASPI driver to test in DOS.

-Fred

Offline mchtower

Fred,

Yes, it is attached to a RAID. So there is no way to run any hard drive write tests in Windows on a drive attached to a RAID card?

Offline fwilson

mchtower,

In Windows it will only do what the driver lets it do. Generally you can not test drives individually as they are presented to the OS as one volume.

I would probably not do any write tests even if allowed.  The chances of being destructive are too high.

-Fred