Author Topic: Laptop POST card poll  (Read 27074 times)

Offline Stephen

• PC-Doctor, Inc.
What's a POST card? If you don't know or think it's something you send in the mail without an envelope, just answer, No.

Seriously, POST is short for Power On Self Test. POST cards are devices that plug into computers and are used to determine why the computer will not start properly. Most POST cards are designed for desktop computers and plug into one of the PCI slots inside the computer's case. A laptop POST card is designed specifically for, well, laptops.

Juan

I vote yes.

But I want to clarify.

It would be helpful to Service Technicians, who would know where to get the parts for a laptop, as well as how to install them.
It would not be helpful to the average consumer, who does know how to build a desktop PC or does not know how to, because obtaining the parts to fix a laptop in and of itself is a difficult task as well as a costly one.

Offline fwilson

I think it is critical to have one for Laptops.  In 2007 Laptop sales rose 21 percent to 31.6 million while desktop sales slumped nearly 4 percent to 35 million.  Laptops are expected to account for the majority of sales in 2008 and 2009.  By 2011, research company IDC expects portable computers to comprise 66 percent of all corporate PCs sold, up from 40 percent in 2006, and 71 percent of all consumer PCs sold, up from 44 percent.

Times they are a changing. We should be in the lead here and develop a POST card for laptops as soon as possible.  ???
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 04:15:45 pm by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline qbert

I think it would be very help full.  More and more people are buying laptops instead of desktops since they really are "real" computers now. They have the same power as a desktop.  So I am selling and repairing many more these days....

Offline fwilson

Hi all PC-Doctor users,

The Laptop POST card has exited QA and is moving to production.  It should be available in the next month or so.  :)

-Fred

Offline cooldude

???Yes sounds like a great idea!

Offline fwilson

Offline JannahWillis28

Offline barrlowgeorge

Nice post. How do and in what aspects PC POST cards from laptop Post cards?
What is the main difference between them and which one should be used?
spam

Offline James_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Post Card:
a POST card is a plug-in interface card that displays progress and error codes generated during power-on self-test (POST) of a computer. It is used to troubleshoot computers that do not start up.

The difference is size and connectivity between the card and the system, but functionality is still the same.  PC POST cards are just that for a PC or personal computer.  A laptop post card is used only with laptops.
James_PCD

"May the dog of simplicity lift its leg on the lamp post of progress"