Author Topic: Blu-ray or HD DVD  (Read 42829 times)

Juan

Well I'm rooting for the Underdog ==> Blu-ray!

I have a PS3 so it's Blu-ray for me!

Besides, everyone loves the underdog!

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Since we're all full of assumptions today, I'm going to continue with the assumption that you're wrong. :P

Welcome to the flame war Juan. ;D
Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it. -- Salvador Dali ???

Find us on Facebook!
www.facebook.com/pcdoctorinc

Service Center Website: www.pcdservicecenter.com
Blog: www.pcdoctor-community.com/blog/

Offline a shrubbery

* Backing by major pr0n publishers (which was a major factor in the VHS vs Betamax format war)

Actually the pr0n publishers are using Bluray as well.  HD DVD may have the lead in the US but blu-ray seems to be the format of choice in Japan.  Sony has a public anti-pr0n attitude, but is not trying to prevent blu-ray's adoption by the industry.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/33134/118/
However, Sony has said that it will provide technical support to anyone that has the equipment which is similar to saying, “the cat is out of the bag, so we might as well help you now”.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135222-pg,1/article.html
purveyor of nonsense since '08

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
My predictions are coming true! :P

Paramount Pictures & DreamWorks Animation announced that they're ditching Blu-Ray and will be using HD-DVD exclusively. I think it's coming down to price. Toshiba's slashing the price of it's HD-DVD players which is making it more appealing to "families".

Read the full article here.

Find us on Facebook!

Zhiro

I think your assuming again.

You can definitely say that you have one more weapon to add to your arsenal, but from the article you linked, there are some great Blu-ray points of interest as well.

Standalone HD DVD players have a bigger slice of the market than Blu-ray players. But when you count Sony's PlayStation 3 game console, which comes with a Blu-ray drive, there are more Blu-ray players in U.S. homes.

The Blu-ray format recently got a big boost as Blockbuster Inc. (BBI) announced it would stock only Blu-ray titles when it expands its high-def DVD offerings this year.

Target Inc. (TGT), the nation's second-largest retailer, said it will only sell Blu-ray DVD players in its stores in the fourth quarter.

Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s (NWS) Twentieth Century Fox, The Walt Disney Co. (DIS), and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer are releasing only in Blu-ray.[\quote]

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
I agree those are good points. However, the headline is the news because this is the first time someone has switched from a previous exclusive stance (e.g., they were exclusive to one, now they are switching to the other). This has yet to happen for Blu-Ray -- to my knowledge.

Find us on Facebook!

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Is this a joke?!

HD VMD to Battle Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD

Just what we need, a new format to throw into the mix. What does everyone think about this?  The price is obviously appealing, but does it matter since there are only 20 titles available? They look nice too, but is that enough? I'm guessing they're going to sink fast but who knows.

Find us on Facebook!

Offline Stephen

• PC-Doctor, Inc.
Oh, but it gets worse:

China announces CH-DVD, a new high definition DVD standard
http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/09/china-announces-ch-dvd-a-new-high-definition-dvd-standard/

If nothing else, I hope these late entries help to drive prices down.

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
This is just absurd. With any luck, HD DVD will come out the winner after this holiday season, before CH DVD even launches. If you ask me, HD DVD has already won, we just don't know it yet.  By the way, Transformers is launching soon on HD DVD -- I'm sooooo excited! :P

Find us on Facebook!

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
I still say HD DVD is going to win and it looks like there's trouble on the horizon for Blu-ray. Or, is the trouble already here.  ???

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/format-war/the-state-of-blu+ray-320077.php

Find us on Facebook!

Offline colinc

• Administrator
Hmmm... Warner Bros. just ditched HD-DVD for Blu-ray...  :o
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/gadgets/?p=266

Toshiba maintains composure...  :-X
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/gadgets/?p=270

I wish we could just get this over with. I have a big 1080P LCD that is begging for a Hi-Def source!  >:(
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline fwilson

If you guys want it to be over just let me know and I will run out and buy player of one or the other format.  Whichever one I choose will NOT become the standard.

This is so much like the VHS - Beta wars I get a strange feeling of Déjà vu which, come to think of it, was just released on Blue Ray.

Back then Beta Max appeared to be the clear winner so I purchased one.  I found out 6 months later that I put my money on the wrong horse.  The “Sony Pony” lost the race and VHS won out. VHS wasn’t technically superior; in fact Beta had better resolution and Beta was favored by all the “people in the know”.

Am I willing to lay my money down again some 3 decades later?  I think not.  The plain truth is DVDs are pretty darn good as they are, even on my 54” plasma. This may be due to my failing eyesight but there has to be some perks to getting old. Until I can only get new releases on the winning format, I’ll keep my money in my pocket.    ;)

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 09:27:33 am by fwilson »
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline jano

Well, it looks like HD-DVD is in for a tough race:
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/gadgets/?p=329
And don't tell me there isn't one bit of difference between null and space, because that's exactly how much difference there is.   
              -- Larry Wall

Offline fwilson

Format wars 2008 - Winner is Blu-ray

February 19, 2008 – 8:45 am
“Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.”

Looks like the fat lady has finally sung.  It's Blu-ray all the way.  Now I figure it will only take 12 months for Blue-ray players and recordable media to come down from the stratosphere.  ;)
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline PCD_Chris

• Art Director
  • Administrator
    • PC-Doctor, Inc.
Yep, now it's time to significantly increase my HD-DVD collection, as I'm sure the prices are gonna be great!

Blu-ray better come down in price, otherwise, this time next year we might be writing the same about them. ;)

Find us on Facebook!