Author Topic: How do you test SFF Power Supplies  (Read 6945 times)

Offline toname

I have come across several HP Compaq D530s SFF with shutting down problems.  I can't test the power supply because the mainboard connectors are different.  The PS tester that comes with SC7 only tests ATX types.  Does PC-Doctor have a tester for these type of PCs? Or even an adaptor for the PS tester?

Offline eric

• Administrator
toname,

If the PSU that you are working with does not have a 20/24 pin connector than unfortunately we won't be able to test it and we do not at this time offer any adapters to work with other types of power supplies.

--Eric

Offline colinc

• Administrator
 ??? You could also pick up a 24M > 20F ATX adaptor cable from newegg for around $4
To err is human... effective mayhem requires the root password.

Offline toname

I was thinking of doing that...and if I did would it work.  Thanks, I'll pick one up and try it out.  $4 is not much to loose.

Offline fwilson

toname,

It will work fine, except for the 4 pins.  The service center power supply tester only tests voltages, it does not test current output.  It is possible for a power supply to put out the proper voltages but be unable to supply the current needed for reliable operation.

Using one of the new POST cards to measure voltage levels on the PCI BUS while under load is a good option.  Using a known good power supply, even if it not mounted in the case and just has a jumper wire for ground from the power supply to the computer will help diagnose a weak unit.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts