Author Topic: Short SMART test error HD521-2W  (Read 36642 times)

Offline longreeno

I created a bootable media dvd and performed the Diagnoostics from there. It was difficult getting into it.  I had to press Ctrl-Alt-Del then F9 and enter quickly because the HP logo and toolbox just sat there without even the mouse pointer seen.  Anyway, it performed the following tests:  CPU, Memory, HD, DVD, Boot Path.  It passed them all.

Can you think of anything else I could try?  Appreciate your time and suggestions.

Offline fwilson

longreeno,

The bootable media CD is different than the F9 method.  F9 gets you into the "inrom" build located on the recovery partition. Not the boot from CD.

Place the CD you created in the system, boot to it, and then run the extended advanced pattern memory tests.  I would run all the tests but first concentrate on the memory, it is the most likely culprit.

If you don't find anything wrong, look into the drivers, these could be causing the crash also.

You should also get HP Support working on this.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline longreeno

I see what you mean about the F9 method.  I was able to enter it without the disc.  However, for some reason, I am not able to boot from the disc I created.  Every time I try it, it gets stuck on the HP logo (with the toolbox in upper left corner).  The mouse does not function at all, nor do any keys.  All I can do at this point is Crtl-Alt-Del.  I see a bunch of words flying by.  It goes so fast I can't read it.  It says something about "Caldera" and then "Unable to control address", then it brings me back to the HP logo again.  I tried many times. Is there another way of booting from the dvd?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 09:06:49 am by longreeno »

Offline fwilson

longreeno,

Try reburning it but to a CD.  The boot image is for a CD not a DVD.

-Fred

Offline longreeno

Fred-

I tried it again using a CD-RW this time and had the same exact result.

Offline fwilson

Longreeno,

It is either a bad download or a bad CD/DVD Burner.  It sounds like it is trying to Boot up,  Caldera DOS is what is used, the can not controll Line A20 is common but it should continue to boot and go to the PCDR Menu.

Try going again to the HP site, go to your model and download a fresh copy of the  bootable diagnostics.  I don't know what else to tell you, we need to get the program loaded up to diagnose the issue.

-Fred