Author Topic: Defrag & SSD  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Robin15

I have recently purchased a new PC with an SSD Drive.
When I look at Performance and Launch "Disk Defrag", a message comes up to say that Drive C is a SSD and defrag is not recommended.
However, the screen shows that it does run. (see attachment).
You will see that Windows RE tools states "Never run".  Shouldn't Drive C also show "Never run"?
I don't want it to run, as it states it will shorten its life.  What do I need to do to ensure that it never runs?

Offline PCD_Meliton

Hello,

To begin, the "Never run" option is not necessarily a setting that can be applied it is just used to inform that a defrag has never been run on that specific drive. Under normal circumstances, you can manually select that drive and click optimize (causing the "Never run" to go away). If it does not allow you to click optimize it will most likely be caused by a different issue.

From the attachment provided, it shows the defrag "scheduled optimization" is turned off, this means a defrag will not run automatically. By leaving it turned off, it will assure that the SSD will never be defragmented on its own. Another possible option is if you want to have the (D:) drive defragmented without affecting the SSD. This can be done by turning on the "Scheduled optimization" and selecting the "run on a schedule" option. Once it's on, you will be able to click on "Choose" that will allow you to select the drives it is allowed to defrag. As long as the SSD remains unselected it will not run a defrag on the SSD but will still defrag all the others that remain selected.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Meliton .P

Offline Robin15

Thank you Meliton.  That has answered my question.
Regards
Robin