Author Topic: LINEAR SEEK ERROR?  (Read 11495 times)

Offline nadman040

Hi Folks. My linear seek test failed and I wonder how I can fix it. (i don’t have a clue what it is)

The code given was: CD523-5W

I can't burn anything right now....

Thanks

Offline fwilson

nadman040,

It sounds like you need a new optical drive  :'(

You may want to contact HP (CD523-5W is an HP specific error code) for replacement instructions or any competent repair shop will be able to assist you.

The Linear Seek test verifies the drive can move and reposition the drive heads to specific locations on the test media in a linear sequence. The specific locations on the test media correspond to logical blocks, which the Linear Seek Test accesses one block at a time. If the Linear Seek Test detects any problems with the movement of the drive heads, it records a result of Failed in the test log.

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts

Offline nadman040

I have run a system check and the same error(CD523-5W)has come up on both my drives, HP DVD writer 740b and IDE-DVD DROM 6216.  Getting pretty discouraged.

Does that mean both drives are toast? Or can something be done?

I was using Sonic originally to burn DVD's as it came with the original package (HP MEDIA CENTRE) and would burn Microsoft Recorded TV Show.  Sonic suddently quit, and I bought Nero 7 Ultra, which doesn't work either...

Nad

Offline fwilson

nadman040,

It is odd that both drives would be getting this error.  go to the HP support site and download the latest version of PC-Doctor for your machine.  If you still receive errors please call HP support directly and ask them for direction.

Have you tried the DOS version to eliminate driver related errors?

-Fred
“Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.”  ~ J.C. Watts