Author Topic: error code 1  (Read 6880 times)

Offline AllenHechter

I just bought the toolbox for windows and cannot activate it.  I downloaded it and filled in the product key code, but got an error message.  I am installing this software on an HP Pavilion a1600n running windows 7, SP1.  How do I activate?

Offline PCD_James

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with the activation process, here are some of the most common issues that we have seen:

* Inadvertently adding a space at the beginning or the end of the Product Key (This seems to happen fairly frequently when copying and pasting the Key for activation).
* Mistaken letter or number (the most common one is confusing S and 5).
* The key must be entered in it's entirety (including any dashes), and is case sensitive.

If you have any additional questions or issues, please visit http://www.pc-doctor.com/support/ and submit a support ticket for further assistance.

Thank you for your patience,

James

Offline AllenHechter

Thank you for the information.  I circumvented that problem you mentioned by copying the product code directly from the email using ctrl c and pasting it in the product code box field using ctrl v.  That should have prevented any typo mistakes.  Unfortunately that did not solve the problem.

I can use all of the help that I can get and any further recommendations would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks again.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Hello Allen,

I was able to respond to your support ticket this morning through email. I hope that it resolved your issue. If not feel to reply to it and we can try some other things.

Offline AllenHechter

Hello James,

Please refer to 2 last emails sent to you.

I was able to load toolbox onto an HP Pavilion laptop running XP with a .NET framework upgrade.  I was then able to activate it with no problem.

I will need to purchase another copy of toolbox to run on my desktop a1600n, though.  I wish to keep the working copy on the labptop. 

Norton's firewall is set to allow PC-doctor to activate, but I still can't activate using the desktop.

Any new ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Allen,
I am going to set up a VM of Windows 7 and see if I can replicate the issue, or find a possible solution. Ill get back to you as soon as I have some more ideas.

Thanks for your patience!

James

Offline AllenHechter

Hello again James:

I tried an experiment on my desktop after I loaded and kept the copy of toolbox on my laptop.

I still had a copy on my desktop.  I rebooted the desktop into safemode, and tried to activate again.  To my pleasant surprise, I did not get error code 1.  I got an error 4 code stating that there were too many configuration changes.

That was to be expected since your website acknowledged the activation of my copy of toolbox on another computer, my laptop.

I want to keep toolbox on my labtop, so I am going to purchase another copy of toolbox for the HP a1600n desktop, but this time, I will activate it in safemode.  I will keep you abreast of my results.

Thank you for the time you are investing in my problem.

Talk to you soon.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Sounds good, glad to hear the problem appears to be resolved.

Offline AllenHechter

Hello James,

I am afraid that my elation is premature.

I bought another copy of toolbox and installed it on the desktop.  But when I booted up in safemode, I got the error 4 code again.  I first tried activating the original way in normal mode and got error code 1 first.  I then rebooted in safemode and got error code 4 stating that there are too many configuration changes.  Is it possible that I blocked myself out by trying to activate the standard way first?

Does the error 4 code shed any new light on the problem?

Please advise.

Thank you for your time.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Hello Allen,

Error 4 is and activation error that corresponds to tracked system changes. However it takes multiple changes (graphics card swaps, motherboard swaps etc.)in order to lock the activation, so I wouldn't anticipate an issue with that. But I have been incorrect before, so let me take a look at your license and reset it if needed.

Did you use the same email address to purchase as you did before?

-James
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 03:19:45 pm by PCD_James »

Offline AllenHechter

Hello James,

Thank you for the quick reply

Yes, I did use the same email address as before.

When I try to activate in normal mode, I get error code 1.  When I try to activate in safe mode, I get error code 4.

Toolbox works great on my XP laptop computer.  I am considering purchasing from ebay a copy of XP with service pack 3 installed on a hard drive and inserting that hard drive into my desktop computer running windows 7.  I could then install toolbox on the XP drive and run it from there.  Perhaps that might solve the problem.

Please let me know when you reset my license and I will try to activate in safe mode first.

Thank you for the time that you are investing in my problem.  I hope we can make it work in windows 7 directly.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Hello Allen,

It looks like I was incorrect and the system did flag your key, which would lead to an error 4. I went ahead and reset both of your keys just to make sure we are starting from scratch. I hope this fixes the issue!

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding as we try and figure this out!

-James

Offline AllenHechter

Hi James,

Thank you for resetting my licenses.  I went directly to safe mode first to try and activate again after I read your last post.  Unfortunately, safe mode activation was unsuccessful.

Activation worked great on the Windows XP laptop.  I think maybe I should try and reload Windows XP on another hard drive of this computer, erase the copy on the windows 7 drive and see if I can activate using an xp operating system on this desktop.

I can get a copy of windows XP with SP3 from ebay, but it will take some time.  The email I received that gave me the link for the latest download says that the link is only good for seven days.  That means, it will expire on August 8th.

Should I try and activate with xp on this computer or do you have other options I could try using windows 7? If I need to activate using XP, could I get an extension on the second link for the toolbox download?

I appreciate your efforts.  Please advise what I should do next.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter

Offline PCD_James

Hello Allen,

The last option I would have for your Windows 7 machine would be a complete reset again, ensuring all drivers are up to date, and installing all windows updates.
As far as the download link I can reset that at a later time, no problems at all, if you wanted to go the XP route.

-James

Offline AllenHechter

Hi James,

When I first installed Windows 7 on this desktop, I was able to get windows 7 updates. I have about 222 updates so far, but lately, I am not able to obtain any more for some reason.  I even installed another hard drive and installed a brand new copy of windows 7 on the new hard drive, but could only get about 14 of the updates.  This computer is 11 years old, and maybe something in windows 7 at this time, is not compatible with it.  I can't even install windows 10 on this desktop.  When Micosoft stops supporting windows 7, then I will be force to scrap this computer and buy another one that will be compatible with their new operating system.  For now, this computer meets all of my needs.

I still want to be able to run PC-doctor to keep it running for as long as I can.

I will order a copy of XP, then notify you when I am ready to install the last download of toolbox.

Thank you for all of the help you have given me so far.  If any new ideas for windows 7 pop up, please do not hesitate to notify me.

I will contact you again as soon as I am able to attempt a reload of toolbox using XP.

Respectfully,

Allen Hechter