Author Topic: Targeted Read Test and SMART Short Self Test Failure  (Read 8670 times)

Offline ana

Hi,

I've had problems with my laptop for some time. It shows the message about the problems with starting the Windows. I run the Dell PC Checkup and it showed two errors: Targeted Read Test (whd20 9xb error code) and SMART Short Self Test (whd16 03u error code). When I spoke with one of the IT assistants on the phone and he searched my computer he said that I need to change the hard drive or to pay almost £300 to fix the problem. As you can see I would prefer to avoid either option...
Can you please tell me how can I fix the problems above with not putting myself into too much expenses? I would be really grateful for your help.
Thank you and hopefully hearing from you soon.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Since the tests are failing and you are having problems starting Windows, I feel comfortable saying that you are going to need to replace your Hard Drive. A drive failure can occur suddenly, so make sure that you back up all the important information while you can still use the computer. I would also highly recommend that you start looking at options to replace the drive and install Windows.

If you are under warranty, Dell should be able to help you resolve the issue, and if not they should at least have some (relatively) inexpensive options.

If you don't go with whatever options Dell has available, then you will probably want to find a local technician to do the work for you. Unless you are comfortable replacing the drive yourself of course.

Unfortunately, there is no defined cost for PC repair, but back when I worked a repair desk (2006) the typical charge to replace a drive and install windows would have been about $200 (or about £125). Of course this was several years ago, and each repair shop is different.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Kris
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:55:38 am by Kris_PCD »
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.