Author Topic: Scan G-RAID Device  (Read 3017 times)

Offline pkohn11

Does version 9 work when scanning G-RAID drives?  I ran a test a hard drive test and it failed the SMART Thresholds test.  I'm not sure if this is accurate or not.

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Unfortunately, I can't give you a simple answer to that question.  :(
First I want to clarify, do you mean this G-RAID, and if so which model?

Depending on the model and how it's connected, our system will access it very differently. I would also be careful with the results, it is entirely possible that the test is simply notifying you that it cannot be run on the device. If you could provide information on the drive itself and how it's connected, I will do my best to find an answer to your question.

If you could also provide the test logs for the failure you were seeing, I would like to see how our product is reporting the drive as well as what the failure condition was.

Thanks,
Kris
Kris_PCD
Technical Support Representative
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline pkohn11

This is the one I'm trying to scan:
http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-raid-duel-drive-storage-system-8-tb

I can connect it via USB or eSATA.

Here is the log from when it was connected via USB (didn't have access to an eSATA port).

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Hi pkohn11,

While we haven't seen a drive behave quite like this, and I can't say with any certainty which of the the two drives is failing. It does appear that the drive is reporting a legitimate failure condition.

The SMART Attribute that the drive is reporting to have issues is the Reallocated Sectors Count. Once the drive has remapped a set number of bad sector to a "healthy" one, it will begin to trigger this warning to indicate that the drive is beginning to fail. One unusual thing that I just noticed is that G-Technology claims to only use HGST drives, and the test results you provided are showing a Hitachi drive. I would check if the internal drive had been replaced at some point.

I am sorry to be bearer of bad news, but at least we were able to give you a definitive answer.

Thanks,
Kris

On another note (this is optional, but appreciated):

I would like to thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, and we will be taking a closer look into the way our software reports such drives in the future. If you would be willing, we are curious to know how the drive shows up in the Advanced System Information.

To obtain the Advanced System Information, please follow these steps:
     1. Click the System Information tab
     2. Click the System Information report type
     3. Choose Advanced View to adjust the level of detail in the system information report
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:22:53 am by Kris_PCD »
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.

Offline pkohn11

Thank you for the reply! Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  Here is the report ran again and the hard drive information.

What seems weird to me is that it is showing one of the drives (Hitachi which is weird) but it doesn't show the second one.  If you look at the bottom of the system info report, it shows a 6TB external RAID drive, however, at the top it only shows one of the 3TB HDs.

I think it would be a good idea for the tests to be able to identify both drives and show what one is faulty (if possible).  I am seeing a lot more RAID configurations in both commercial and residential settings.

Also, this customer has two of these identical drives and they are both getting stuck at the linear read test.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:40:15 pm by pkohn11 »

Offline Kris_PCD

• PC-Doctor, Inc
Thanks pkohn11 for providing that additional info.

We are currently in the process of procuring one of these devices so that we can do further investigation internally, and I wouldn't be surprised if we don't implement a resolution in a future version of Service Center. Until then, I'm afraid that the only way to confirm which of the two drives is truly failing would be to remove them from the enclosure and test them individually.

Also, I learned that HGST actually stood for "Hitachi Global Storage Technologies" before they were purchased by Western Digital. So it looks like the drive is accurately reporting the manufacturer.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and thanks again.
Kris Templin
PC-Doctor, Inc.
Kris_PCD
PC-Doctor, Inc.