Author Topic: PCI and miniPCI POST cards (Can it tell between mobo or CPU being bad)  (Read 1560 times)

Offline wolf4life

I have the Service Center USB v.10 but didn't get the add-on cards as I didn't think I would use them. I have a laptop that will start to post and may or may not flash the uefi/bios logo. After around 1min 8sec. it shuts off. I have pulled the RAM no beeps or blinking lights on numb or caps lock, though I know not all systems beep with no memory. At least I have had ones that didn't and reseating or putting in different memory got them to post. I have also reseated the CPU and put on new thermal paste. I can hear the hard drive doing something but never gets anywhere even with the hard drive and dvd pulled. So was wondering if the add-on cards would help isolate the issue as I don't have any known good parts to test with.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 01:50:15 pm by wolf4life »

Offline PCD_Sam

• PC-Doctor
Hello Wolf4life,

I do agree that given your situation a POST card would shed some light on the issue at hand.

However, while a POST card will identify the last code the BIOS posted I would recommend that you research if the laptop you are testing has a readily accessible miniPCI port. Some laptops have easier access points than others and before you spend the money and time on ordering a card you should check first that you can use a POST card.

If you do have a PCI port that you can reach then please see the site http://www.bioscentral.com/ to see if your laptop/motherboard is listed as a code will appear but if you don't know what it corresponds to it doesn't leave you in a much better spot!

I hope this helps you determine on deciding to purchase a POST card and as always if you have any questions just let us know!

Thanks,

Sam
Like a great predatory piano, I sit silent in the darkness. Until it is time to attack and then I strike in a cacophony of violence and ivory keys.