Author Topic: Dell Optiplex 740 will not power on  (Read 2003 times)

Offline daltontech

I am working with a Dell Optiplex 740 pc that the user said would not power on.
I took the Power supply tester and I attached to the power supply and plugged in the power and I got green lights on the Power supply.

I tested the HDD and the floppy drive power and they all showed green.

I removed all the memory from the system also to see if i would get an error code.

I put the pci post card in a pci slot on the motherboard and i attached the other card but it never would show anything.

I did notice on the motherboard that after I took the cmos battery out and I replaced i had a faint yellow light come on the motherboard.

This system is very old about 8 years old so it is not a big problem I am just wondering what I should test next on the system.

Thank you
Brian

Offline PCD_Sam

• PC-Doctor
Hi Brian,

When you try to power the device on, is anything receiving power? For example are the fans spinning?

The yellow light on the motherboard is most likely the FLEA light indicating it is receiving power and is in standby mode.

To me it sounds like a power issue. I would look on Dell's support site for you model and see if they have any more information concerning error codes and led indicators.
Like a great predatory piano, I sit silent in the darkness. Until it is time to attack and then I strike in a cacophony of violence and ivory keys.